Family Therapy in NYC
Families are complicated. Your family can be a source of comfort and stability, and can be there for you during the most challenging times of your life. At the other end, your family can be a source of stress, conflict, and pain. However, families are like other relationships in life, and require healthy boundaries, communication, and support for one another. If your family has been arguing frequently, having difficulty connecting, or have faced significant life events, such as moving, a death in family, or infidelity, we understand and are here to support you. Family therapy may be a good option for you.
What is Family Therapy?
The family is a complex system that involves relationships between parents, children, and extended family members (for a family that involves only you and a spouse, consider couples therapy). Family therapy aims to treat the overall family system by understanding the perspectives of each individual in the family. Each member may have their own life challenges, experiences, and strengths and weaknesses, that are all vital to the family dynamic.
What can Family Therapy help with?
The goal of family therapy is to improve relationships and communication between family members. Family therapy can benefit family members of any age who are experiencing challenges including:
- Parents who are worried about their children’s behavior
- Family members feeling disconnected from one another
- Family members who are frequently getting in arguments, or unable to understand another member’s perspective
- Potential divorce or separation
- Parents who are considering having more children, or adopting/fostering children
- Family members dealing with challenging mental health conditions
What happens during Family Therapy?
Family therapy provides a safe space for each family member to share complicated feelings and experiences. Often, family member(s) are contributing to difficulties within the family dynamic, and/or a family member’s problems are impacting the rest of the family. In family therapy sessions, the goal is to make each family member feel supported.
Sessions may consist of:
- Clarifying each family member’s beliefs, values, and hopes, so everyone is on the same page
- Working towards removing blame from individual family members and thinking about how everyone can work together
- Helping family members understand how their words or actions affect the rest of the family
Methods that may be used include:
- A cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) approach, which focuses on skills training ability to address specific problems
- Psychodynamic approach, which focuses on identifying emotions and how each family member interprets and responds their problems and other family members
- Functional approach, which may consist of identifying immediate problems and coming up with practical solutions
Sessions will look different between different families, since the goal of family therapy is to understand and work with families in their own unique context. Family therapy may last only several sessions, or longer depending on the family’s situation. Your therapist may even meet with family members individually, should that be important. Further, medication treatment may also be a consideration for individual family members, should that be necessary.
Find a Family Therapist at Integrative Psych
Integrative Psych is an NYC-based private practice specializing in the treatment of family therapy. Many of our clients are based in Brooklyn, Queens, New Jersey, Manhattan (Chelsea, Village, Lower East Side, Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Tribeca, SoHo), Connecticut, Westchester but our family therapists are licensed to treat anyone in the state of New York.
Integrative Psych takes a compassionate and comprehensive approach to family therapy. We will evaluate your family’s situation in its own unique context and come up with a plan suited to your family.
Once your family has begun care with us, we will see you all regularly to monitor progress and make any adjustments necessary to ensure that you and your family benefits fully from treatment at Integrative Psych.
Obtain family therapy in NYC today so you can:
- Fix unresolved problems between family members
- Understand each family member’s motives and hopes and develop skills to improve working together
- Become a family where everyone feels supported
At Integrative Psych, we are your premier destination for integrative and evidence-based therapy in New York City. Our team of experienced and compassionate therapists specializes in a wide range of mental health services, tailored to meet your unique needs. Whether you are seeking assistance with psychodynamic therapy nyc, bipolar disorder nyc, high-functioning anxiety nyc, complex PTSD nyc, or any other mental health concerns, we are here to support you on your healing journey.
At Integrative Psych, we firmly believe in the power of mindfulness-based therapy nyc to promote emotional well-being and personal growth. Our therapists are adept at integrating mindfulness-based techniques into their practice to help individuals cultivate present-moment awareness and develop healthier coping mechanisms for stress, anxiety, and other mental health challenges.
If you’re seeking family therapy and interested in working with one of our therapists, book an appointment here.